Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

joni mitchell and eggnog

it's cold here. like, really really cold. i have socks on. and i haven't taken them off. don't harass me, i live in los angeles. cold is relative.
i love cold. i prefer it to hot. any day of the week. (which is funny and probably untrue considering the coldest place i've ever lived is northern california and i guarantee any of you who live where it snows would laugh at me.)
one of the things i missed when i lived on maui was the cold. maui doesn't really do cold. sure, you can find it, but you have to drive way up to the top of the rock. it's not like cold knocks on your front door.
i really want to bundle up in a snuggie and watch movies and eat ice cream with the baby. but she's, um, a baby. she doesn't watch movies. or eat ice cream.
i suppose this afternoon will consist of some bundling of jackets and fuzzy boots and a walk around the neighborhood. something of a routine for us. i listen to 'this american life' and drink an eggnog latte. (sweet mother of all that is holy, eggnog, i could drink a case of you and still be on my feet. i could still be on my feet.)
we will look at the christmas decorations and the baby will point and wave and kick her feet until i let her walk with me, sans stroller. then she will get tired and i will strap her back in and we will smell the winter that is gently patting los angeles on the back and i will be reminded, once again, how much i love my life.
with all the hardships, all the complications, all the stress, all the (fill in the blank)...
simple joy.

speaking of...i am guest posting today for alicia at well hello, chicago. she is running a series based on 'simple joy' and i am so honored to have been asked to take part. talk about inspiration...it's all around me, it seems...

19 comments:

  1. Love this!
    I'm in L.A., too....and it's freaking cold!! And sunny. And cold.
    Hooray for winter in Los Angeles! And for eggnog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I know we have a lot in common, but this is getting creepy. I lived in Maui as well, for three months many years ago. Where did you live? I was in Paia. I loved it there. I went barefoot every day, drank copious amounts of guava juice, and briefly considered learning to surf before being informed of the ungodly hour I would have to awaken. You?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and I could drink eggnog year round.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, so much.
    First, har har.
    I wore boots today. My INSIDE the house boots. But yes, I concede, I know what you mean, the snuggling and all and being held warmly within.
    And was that a K.D. Lang reference, a whole case? I love that song!
    and and joy, life, sweet innocent moments that make up the whole. you are so very very good at this thing called life!
    xo
    erin

    ReplyDelete
  5. And some afternoon or early evening, you will walk outside, with or without that gorgeous little girl that I've never met, and we will meet at Porto's (which is an exact half-way point between our homes, it seems) and share hot chocolates and potato balls and catch up on about four years worth of life.

    And it will be cold but it will be okay :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. DAH! It was a KD Lang cover cd!!!! It was a Joni Mitchell original. I should really stop and read titles!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I prefer colder weather in general. It must have to do with all the layering of clothes. I find layering clothes fascinating. Or rather, the way my three year old daughter layers on clothes. She's so intuitively stylish, it blows my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just back from well hello chicago. Tried to leave a comment, but kept getting an error message. Anyway, just wanted to tell you that you have such a captivating way of stringing words together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. bex: maui for you, too? i was in kihei from 1996-2002. don't tell me we were there at the same time...that would be too too weird.

    angie: thank you so much for your kind words. all layered up on me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a blizzard here! Wish I didn't have to go out and work today and stay inside by the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just my meager, further validation that I have read, and laughed, and been grateful for you~Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your day sounds ideal! Walking around with a baby, listening to TAL. A dream life you have.

    My cold is usually when I have to have on ski socks and a flannel.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You lived in Maui? I bet that was so great! CA sounds great too right now. I've been shoveling 12 inches of snow off my driveway all day and with two toddlers nipping at your heels, that's not easy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My brother lives on Maui. There are no seasons. I need seasons, I need change. I am refreshed at each new seasons start and finish (although we could lose summer altogether and I wouldn't be a bit sorry). And you're right. We Californians can't really say we love the cold. We love the cool-er weather..."It's a figid 40°!" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. Altho I've lived in all types of climates from Puerto Rico to Great Falls, Montana, I have become such a wimpy winter person - today I have on a thermal under my sweater - and that's for inside the office!!! True, my boss's office is all windows and I sit right outside next to all windows on the 6th floor, so it's a tad chilly. I think I would turn into one big goosebump if I had to live in the winters back east again, besides having SO MANY layers that I wouldn't be able to move. Ahhhh, the good ole California lifestyle - me with my thermals walking next to a guy in shorts and flipflops, equally comfortable (and pass the eggnog, please!!!) Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, that photo below of your friends? gutting me. they're holding each other so tightly! love it.

    and i just grabbed uncle sugar by his shoulders last night and got really close in his face and said "get. me. the. eff. out. of. this. effing. cold."

    i believe he will work on that today. i wish i were more like you, though...embracing it.

    in other news, i do enjoy ice cream.

    what the hell have i just written? preview? no need. publish? against my better judgement. xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Since when did you live on Maui? That's so cool. And btw, I'm eggnog's #1 fan. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm in LA too and it's mighty cold! Don't let those east coasters take that away from us! It's my first time reading your blog and I love the simple pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this. I love that winter is gently patting LA on the back. Here in Wisconsin? We got bitchslapped.

    I love your words, Krista.

    ReplyDelete

use your kind words.