Pages

Thursday, August 19, 2010

signs of life

i used to have such nice skin. i took it for granted. expected it to stay that way. i was so unimaginative.


do you ever find yourself, in those moments right before sleep, head tilted and eyes closed, back in a place you had forgotten you had been? back when you were friends with her, crying over him, wanting nothing but to stay there. you roll over, new cheek on fresh pillow and you realize you might still be the same person but you will never be the same person again. and then you fall asleep.


do you know what it feels like to be in love? with yourself, your partner, your life? it feels like less like falling and more like jumping. it feels like knowing you will land. soft. it feels weightless and full of gravity and it feels like barefeet on hardwood floors in the middle of the night. it feels like home.
it feels like the memory of clear skin mottled with age.

11 comments:

  1. I love the last line. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I want it to feel like. I am almost there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It took me forever to find that, but I did. That contented sigh, you feel with your hand over his chest listening to his heartbeat through your fingertips. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful post!! The first line whooshed me back in time. I was around 33 years old (too tall & skinny, self-conscious, yada, yada, yada I thought) and visiting my favorite Aunt. She was in her late 60's and her gal-pal cronies were all hanging out, drinking beer & gossiping. When I walked in and sat down they all said, "Oh, darlin', you have such beautiful skin!" I gasped in surprise and went to look in the bathroom mirror, wondering what they saw that I did not. And now that I'm in my 50's I know what it was: they saw my youth and my inner beauty. It changed me forever. Thanks for sharing this. Blessings!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i do know, and we are so blessed.

    i know about the skin too. not so blessed.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you used your photos with these words.

    (this is me, signed in through a different account)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful.

    I try so hard not to jump, because these days I am full of doubt that I deserve anything good. But I still do, and I am thankful that the universe shoves me gently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *smile* Sometimes I have no words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know what I want? you knwo what I really, really want? A book of essays. Written by you. Signed by the author. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete

use your kind words.